This cake has come about as a friend at work asked me if I would make a cake for his mum for Mother’s Day.
I have done some carrot cupcakes before but not a big carrot cake. I was excited to make a big cake as I don’t do them very often and getting to do one that I probably wouldn’t do was good.
When I delivered this to my friend at work, he was excited to give it to his mum on Mother’s Day. I hope wish every mum out there had a great Mother’s Day.
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 100 g carrots
- 2 bananas mashed
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 150 g light muscovado sugar
- 150 ml oil
- 50 g walnuts chopped
- 200 g cream cheese
- 75 g icing sugar
- 2 walnuts chopped
- Pre-heat oven on gas mark 4 then grease and line two 8 inch cake tins.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix them together until fully incorporated. Split the mixture between the two 8 inch cake tins and tap the tins lightly on the side to level the mixture.
- Put in the oven for 35 minutes but keep checking on it. Once cooked all the way through, remove from the oven and leave in the tins for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, turn out on to a cooking rack and leave to cool completely. Once the cake is cooled, mix the cream cheese and icing sugar together until incorporated.
- Once incorporated, spread on one half of the cake then add the second half and then spread the rest on top of the cake and top with the rest of the icing. Decorate with some chopped walnuts