Spices are all around at this time of the year. I don’t really do spices but I wanted to try something new. I had some mascarpone that I bought for a Halloween recipe that I didn’t make in the end so I needed to use it up before it went out of date.
Ginger is a very popular flavour in biscuits and these cookies are full of ginger flavour. These cookies are super chewy on the inside but the demerara sugar gives a nice little crunch to the outside of the biscuits and adds a little extra flavour.
The lemon works really well with these cookies, takes the edge of the ginger and adds a zing to the cookies. You can add as much lemon curd you like to the mascarpone or if your not into a lemon flavour then you could use strawberry jam or something similar.
These cookies are the perfect combination of spice and zing. The filling is not necessarily needed with the cookies and you could have these on their own.
Ginger Cookies with Lemon Mascarpone
- 100 g unsalted butter melted
- 50 g golden caster sugar
- 100 g light brown soft sugar
- 25 g black treacle
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 175 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 75 g demerara sugar to coat
- 175 g mascarpone
- 85 g lemon curd
- To make the cookies, put the butter, sugars, treacle, egg and vanilla in a large bowl and mix together with an electric whisk until smooth and combined. In a separate bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients except the demerara. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and mix until a very sticky dough is formed. Cover with cling film and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line two baking trays with baking parchment. Roll the cookie dough into balls, about a tablespoon in size, then roll in the demerara sugar. Place on the lined trays, leaving about 2.5cm space between cookies.
- Bake for about 14 mins or until just lightly browned around the edges, swapping the trays over halfway through cooking. Allow to cool on the trays for 10 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the filling, beat together the mascarpone and lemon curd in a bowl until smooth and creamy. Spoon a layer of the cream onto the base of half the cookies and sandwich together with the other half. Will keep for 3-4 days in a sealed container in the fridge – the texture will turn soft and cakey (this is no bad thing).