The sun is shining and I am enjoying a beautiful cup of tea while wondering what I want to bake. I realized I wanted to do something with such sunny flavours.
Then I had the idea of adding a twist to a classic madeleine and bringing some great summer flavour.
Lemons to me are the sign of summer coming and just bring me such happiness. The smell of anything being baked that has lemon in just has that summer smell of long days, beautiful views and the possibility of anything happening.
Lemon icing just add that extraness to these madeleines and bumps the lemon flavour upto 1000.
Biting into these beautiful madeleines does give amazing lemon drizzle vibes and they just keep you going back for more so be prepared for more than one of these bad boys.
Lemon Drizzle Madeleines
- 2 Eggs
- 85 g Golden Caster Sugar
- 1 tbsp Runny Honey
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- pinch Salt
- 100 g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 75 g Unsalted Butter melted
- 2 Lemons Zest and Juice
- 100 g Icing Sugar
- Grease a Madeleine tin with some butter. Whisk the eggs with the sugar, honey, vanilla and salt in a large bowl for 5-8 minutes until very pale and at least doubled in volume, using an electric whisk.
- Sift over and fold in the flour and baking powder, then the melted butter and the lemon zest from both lemons then add the juice from one lemon then mix until fully incorporated.
- Cover and chill for an hour or two, or overnight. Give the chilled mixture a good stir and fill the moulds by three quarters with a heaped teaspoon
- Preheat the oven to 240C/220C fan/gas 9. Place the cakes in the oven, immediately turn the temperature down to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and bake for 4 minutes.
- Then turn the oven down to 190C/170C fan/gas 5 and continue baking for another 4 minutes until domed and risen in the centre, the mixture is set and the edge of each cake is golden.
- Run a knife around the edge of each one. Leave them to cool on a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, make the icing. Mix the juice of the final lemon with 100g of icing sugar until the mixture is thick but runny.
- Add the icing to a piping bag and cut the end off and move the piping bag across the madelienes until each madeliene has at least three lines of icing on it.