These have been on my hit list for the longest time and I have no idea why I never made them before as they are so simple to make and are worth making.
These cupcakes have summer vibes written all over them but its more like rain vibes in the UK at the moment.
I used some leftover homemade lemon curd in this recipe but you could easily use shop brought or if you want to make it from scratch there are lots of recipes on line for you to use.
I cored out quite a lot of cupcake from the middle because I wanted a lot of lemon curd in the middle but that’s just personal preference.
I would recommend using a hand mixer for the meringue as a stand mixer may have issues mixing just two egg whites.
If your lucky enough to own a blowtorch then use that to brown the meringue but putting them under the grill works just as well but defiantly keep an eye on them as they do brown quickly.
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
- 150 g Butter
- 150 g Caster Sugar
- 150 g Self-Raising Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Milk
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Lemon Zest Only
- 12 tsp Lemon Curd
- 2 Egg Whites
- 80 g Caster Sugar
- Pre-heat the over to 180 degrees/Fan 160 degrees/Gas 4. Put muffin cases into a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Measure your butter and sugar into the bowl and cream together until fully incorporated. Add each egg and mix until both are combined.
- Sieve your flour, baking powder and lemon zest in to the bowl and then mix until fully incorporated then add the milk until mixed in.
- Fill each cupcake case until about ¾ full then place in the oven to cook for 20 - 25minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for a minute on a cooling rack then remove from the tin and place on cooling rack until fully cooled.
- To make the meringue, whisk the egg whites in a large bowl with an electric hand whisk until stiff. Spread or pipe on the top of each cupcake and sit back in their tins.
- Gradually add the sugar as you continue whisking on full speed, until you have a stiff glossy mixture.
- Once cooled, core the middle of the cupcake and fill with lemon curd and add some on the cored sponge back on the top of the whole.
- Spread or pipe on the top of each cupcake and sit back in their tins. Use a chef’s blowtorch to brown the meringues or slide the tray under the grill. Watch carefully and remove when golden-brown