These cupcakes were an order by a customer. The customer is someone I work with and we happened to be talking about her birthday and cakes.
I mentioned that I was a baker and would be happy to do some cupcakes for her if she wanted. She asked me if I could make some for the office because when its someone’s birthday in the office, they are supposed to bring cake in for everyone.
She asked for 60 strawberry cupcakes which is the biggest order I have done but I was looking forward to the challenge.
I haven’t done strawberry cupcakes before so knew these would be a challenge for me. I used a lot of fresh strawberries to give these cupcakes the best strawberry flavour.
I have provided the recipe for 12 cupcakes but obviously I had to times the recipe by 5 to get enough cupcakes to fill the order.
I could only cook 24 cupcakes at a time so I did two lots then another two lots then the final lot. I also made extra because I’m such a perfectionist when it comes to cupcakes that I wanted a few in case things went wrong.
So, after five and half hours doing nothing but baking 60 cupcakes, they were finally ready to be boxed up ready for delivery.
I drove so slowly to work on Monday to make sure I didn’t destroy them. My customer loved them, and I got so many compliments about how nice they were.
- 125 g softened butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150 ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300 g plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 strawberries
- 150 g strawberries
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 175 g butter softened
- 600 g icing sugar sifted
- Preheat the oven to Gas 3/160C/140 fan assisted oven. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases. Place the butter in a large bowl and cream until soft. Add the sugar and beat until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Whisk the eggs in a small bowl and gradually add them to the butter mixture, continually stirring. Next stir in the milk and vanilla then sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and gently fold to combine.
- Cut up about 8 strawberries into small chunks and mix into the cake mixture. Equally divide the mixture between the muffin cases.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until well risen, slightly golden and springy when you touch them. Allow the cakes to cool for 5 minutes and then remove from the tin and place them on a wire rack so that they can cool completely.
- Now make the icing. Place the lemon juice and strawberries into a blender and blitz for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Sieve the mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- Using a cupcake corer, core out the middle of each cupcake and fill with strawberry jam. Then add the cored out sponge back into the top of the cupcake to hide the jam.
- In another bowl, cream together the butter and icing sugar until well combined. Add this to the fruit puree and beat continually.
- Using a palette knife or the back of a spoon, spread the icing onto the cupcakes and decorate with one berry on the top.