It is a nice sunny day, so I thought I would make some cute little cupcakes. Can’t resist a good cupcake, I love icing on cakes it is the best bit of a cake.
This recipe was updated in 2020 after realising the recipe its self was not quite right.
The photos used in this entry have all been decorated by different people. I made my own Decorate your own Cupcake kits for my family and my friend to help get everyone through lockdown.
I really enjoyed putting this kits together, getting all the different bits ready. I mixed my own sprinkles to give them all a different mixture of sprinkles for their cupcakes.
Vanilla cupcakes are such a staple and I use this recipe in all my cupcake bakes and just change if needed. I have kept the old picture of the cupcakes from 2 years ago because it shows me how far I have come.
- 125 g Self-raising flour
- 125 g Softened Butter
- 2 eggs
- 125 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 250 g Unsalted Butter
- 500 g icing sugar sifted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- Pre-heat the over to 180 degrees/Fan 160 degrees/Gas 4. Put muffin cases into a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Measure your butter and sugar into the bowl and cream together until fully incorporated. Add each egg and mix until both are combined.
- Sieve your flour and baking powder in to the bowl and then mix until fully incorporated then add the vanilla extract and milk until mixed in.
- Fill each cupcake case until about ¾ full then place in the oven to cook for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for a minute on a cooling rack then remove from the tin and place on cooling rack until fully cooled.
- Beat the butter for about 5 minutes until pale and fluffy,
- Sieve the icing sugar a bit at a time until it is all fully incorporated, Then add the vanilla extract and milk until all mixed in.
- Fill a piping bag with a star nozzle with the buttercream and then pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.