I went to the Cake and Bake show in London back in October and brought myself two bags of icing sugar from Sugar and Crumbs
I brought a bag of Toffee Apple Icing Sugar and a bag of Mulled Wine Icing Sugar. I thought these would be great flavours for this time of the year.
I wanted to start my festive baking off by using these bags of icing sugar. I know Toffee Apples are normally for about October time when the fair comes to town but I think it’s a good festive treat.
I used a mixture of plain icing sugar and the toffee apple icing sugar as I didn’t want the flavour to be over powering and I didn’t want to use all the toffee apple icing sugar.
I added icing to the cupcake mixture as well to make it all tastes just like eating a toffee apple.
I went for a nice red icing to represent the toffee on the outside of a deep red apple which I think always look good.
Two little candy canes to end the buttercream rose because well it’s Christmas and why not.
I was really pleased with how these turned out because I was slightly nervous you wouldn’t be able to taste the toffee apple in the cupcakes but you get a good hint of it when you bite into it.
Toffee Apple Cupcakes
- 200 g butter
- 200 g golden caster sugar
- 200 g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp Toffee Apple Icing Sugar
- ½ tbs bicarbonate of soda
- 200 g butter
- 200 g icing sugar
- 200 g Toffee Apple Icing Sugar
- Candy Cane Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven on 180 degrees and fill a cupcake tray with paper cases
- Add the butter and caster sugar into a mixer and mix until incorporated
- Add each egg one at a time until they are both incorporated
- Add the flour and bicarbonate of soda and icing sugar into the wet ingredients then mix until incorporated
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the mixture into each of the cases then bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Mix the butter until it's light and fluffy then add both icing sugars a little at a time until it's all incorporated.
- Add the red food colouring until you get your desired colour.
- Then add to a piping bag with a star nozzle on and pipe the icing on top of the cupcakes. Once finished add the little candy cane sprinkles.