This entry has a special twist to it. I got my results for university this week and instead of just announcing it to everyone I decided to do something different. I did not know what I was going to but then I got my Biscuiteers book which is filled with some crazy biscuit ideas that is when the idea came to me. I wanted to spell out whether I had graduated or not so I decided to make a cake and use alphabet cutters to help me spell it out.
- 225 g Softened Butter
- 225 g caster sugar
- 275 g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
Vanilla Buttercream Icing
- 250 g unsalted butter room temperature
- 500 g icing sugar sifted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 drops food colouring red
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees/gas 4. Grease a 30 x 23cm (12 x 9 in) traybake or roasting tin then line the base with baking parchment
- Blend together the cocoa and hot water then allow to cool slightly. Measure all the cake ingredients into a large bowl and beat until well blended. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 35 - 40 minutes or until the cake has shrunk from the sides of the tin and springs back when pressed in the centre with your fingertips. Leave to cool in the tin.
Vanilla Buttercream Method
- Put the butter and icing sugar into a large mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer to cream the butter and icing sugar together, until pale and fluffy. Should take about 5 minutes
- Add vanilla extract and beat until incorporated. Add in your food colouring and mix to the colour you want.
- For the letters, I cheated and used all ready made roll out icing. I used alphabet cutters to cut out the letters I wanted
- Then I add them to the top of my cake to spell out my message. It says 'I AM GRADUATING'
I enjoyed this bake as its something different and I wanted a way to tell everyone that I graduated. This recipe did not come with any icing as its suggested that you sieve a little icing over the top but I decided to make some vanilla buttercream for the top.