Oh. It’s a new recipe and I was super excited to try this one! The crumbliness of the shortbread and the soft lemon top just go so well together.
These lemon bars will become your new favourite and will be hard to resist once you have made them.
The shortbread base is a must on this recipe because its soft and light so when biting into these bars in all just melts in your mouth.
Now I baked my shortbread for the recommend time and left it to cool slightly on the side while I was making the lemon topping as I didn’t want the topping to hit the base and start cooking before it even hit the oven.
The lemon topping is so packed full of flavour but isn’t overly sweet and hits the spot.
You may think that the topping is super runny once you have added to the shortbread base but I promise you it will set while its baking.
Now I baked these for 15 minutes to start with then did a further ten minutes as I didn’t want the lemon top to overcook and crack so please keep an eye on it.
You will know when the top is done when it still wobbles slightly in the middle.
- 225 g Plain Flour
- 175 g Unsalted Butter Cold
- 75 g Caster Sugar
- 1 Lemon Zest Only
- 200 g Caster Sugar
- 25 g Plain Flour
- 4 Lemons Zest
- 200 ml Lemon Juice about 5 Lemons
- 3 Eggs
- Preheat the oven to 150 C. Line a 23cm x 28cm rectangular cake tin with baking parchment.
- Combine the flour and butter cubes in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add in the caster sugar and lemon zest and pulse again until combined.
- Tip the mixture into the lined cake tin and spread it out evenly with the back of a spoon. Then press the shortbread down firmly with your knuckles so that it is tightly packed in the tin.
- Bake the shortbread for 30 minutes or until very light golden brown.
- Remove the tin and turn the oven oven up to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- In a bowl measure out the sugar, flour and zest. In a jug add the eggs and lemon juice and whisk until combined.
- Then sieve into a bowl with the sugar, flour and zest. Whisk to combine then pour over the base.
- Bake for 25 until the top is just set. Cool in the tin, dust with icing sugar, then slice.