These cookies were something I have been thinking about for ages because I have some leftover candy canes from a cake that I made last year.
Now these would be a total experiment because I wasn’t sure if the candy canes would work in these cookies when put into the oven.
The condensed milk in these cookies just adds the sweetness to these cookies because there is no sugar without them becoming overly sweet and does help curve the bitterness of the dark chocolate.
The condensed milk also makes sure the cookies stay thick once they are baked.
The candy canes did kind of work in these cookies but they did melt so they also did an extra chewiness to the cookies.
Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 200 g Dark Chocolate
- 50 g Unsalted Butter
- 397 g Condensed Milk
- 1 tsp Peppermint Extract
- 225 g Self-Raising Flour
- 100 g White Chocolate Chips
- 10 Peppermint Candy Canes Crushed
- Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper. Put the peppermint candy canes in a bag and crush them up in bag.
- Break up the chocolate and gently melt it along with the butter and the peppermint extract in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally.
- Once all the chocolate and butter is melted then take off the heat and stir in the condensed milk until fully incorporated.
- Mix in the flour, white chocolate chips and peppermint candy canes then scoop them onto the trays and refrigerate the cookies for about 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Fan 160 degrees Gas 4. Place the trays in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Once baked, leave to cool for a few minutes on the tray then transfer to a wire rack until fully cooled.