These cupcakes came about because I had some leftover lemon buttercream that I had defrosted in the week. I wanted to do some different designs on the top of my cupcakes.
I was feeling inspired by lots of great cupcake designs on Instagram lately that I wanted to have a go. If your looking for inspiration then Instagram is defiantly the place for it especially baking as there are so many talented bakers on there.
I only made 6 cupcakes, but the recipe included does make 12. I only made 6 because a full set would not get eaten in my house and I do not want them to go to waste.
I love making lemon bakes because to me it is just a great summer taste. I would normally just leave the buttercream plain on a lemon bake because I feel like lemon bakes should be simple. However, I own lots of food colouring that I don’t use very often so I decided to use some blue and green.
I split my buttercream in half then coloured with the two colours I had chosen to give these cupcakes a twist. I also wanted to try some different decorating designs on top of my cupcakes.
I love making cupcakes because they are so simple to make but can be decorated so amazingly that they look incredible and are good for any kind of celebration you may be having.
I am super proud of my piping on the top, I know it needs some improving but I think it still looks amazing and I love the colour combination of these colours.
- 125 g Butter
- 125 g Caster Sugar
- 125 g Self-Raising Flour
- 2 Eggs
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Lemon Extract
- 1 tbsp Whole Milk
- 150 g Unsalted Butter
- 300 g Icing Sugar
- ½ tsp Lemon Extract
- 2 tbsp Whole Milk
- Pre-heat the over to 180 degrees/Fan 160 degrees/Gas 4. Put muffin cases into a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Measure your butter and sugar into the bowl and cream together until fully incorporated. Add each egg and mix until both are combined.
- Sieve your flour and baking powder in to the bowl and then mix until fully incorporated then add the lemon extract and milk until mixed in.
- Fill each cupcake case until about ¾ full then place in the oven to cook for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for a minute on a cooling rack then remove from the tin and place on cooling rack until fully cooled.
- Beat the butter for about 5 minutes until pale and fluffy. Sieve the icing sugar a bit at a time until it is all fully incorporated
- Then add the lemon extract and milk until all mixed in. Fill a piping bag with a star nozzle with the buttercream and then pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.