I had been thinking about what to bake for a few days and I couldn’t decide and then I got thinking about ice cream recipes as I just got one for Christmas. I was thinking about how nice butterscotch ice cream would be then it dawned on me…why not make butterscotch cupcakes? I love butterscotch and make butterscotch angel delight any time I can and I use angel delight powdered to make milkshakes as well.
Butterscotch is a hit and miss flavour as I know it isn’t everyone’s flavour. I filled the middle of these cupcakes as I haven’t done filled cupcakes yet and thought some toffee sauce would go lovely in the middle of these already sweet cupcakes.
To core the middle out of these cupcakes, I used a Wilton Cupcake Corer which is really useful but don’t go to far down in the cake as you want to take about half the cake out of the middle. I know an Ice Cream Scoop sounds odd to be using for cupcakes but it is actually a really good tool for getting the right mixture in the cupcake cases.
I have just made a Facebook page for the blog and would love if you would go over and leave a little like on the page.
- 150 g butter
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 150 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 57 g butterscotch powder 1 packet of angel delight
- 4 tbsp milk
- 150 g butter
- 250 g icing sugar
- 57 g butterscotch powder
- Put the oven on gas mark 4 and fill a cupcake tray with cases.
- Add the butter, sugar, flour and eggs in a mixing bowl and mix until fully incorporated then add your butterscotch powder along with the milk then mix until fully incorporated.
- Fill the cupcake cases using an ice cream scoop and then put in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Once cooked, take them out and transfer to a cooling rack and leave to cool.
- Using a cupcake corer, core out the middle of each cupcake once they have cooled and fill the middle with the toffee sauce.
- For the buttercream, beat the butter until it is pale and fluffy, then add in your icing sugar a bit at a time until it is all fully incorporated then add in the butterscotch powder and mix again until incorporated.
- Fill a piping bag with the buttercream and pipe the icing on to the top of each cupcake then add some sprinkle or little bits of toffee.