My favourite snack must be sweet and salted popcorn. I always get it when we go to the cinema and can eat it in one sitting without thinking about it.
I may have cheated on this recipe and used shop brought toffee popcorn but if you want to make your own then you defiantly can. I have to say I do like doing these kind of combination cupcakes as I can combine both my favourite snacks and cake.
You could also use different flavours of popcorn. There are so many different flavours of popcorn now that you could experiment.
I loved these cupcakes so much, they were so yummy. I love the crunchiness of the popcorn on top of nice soft buttercream.
Toffee Popcorn Cupcakes
- 175 g Unsalted Butter Room Temperature
- 175 g Self-Raising Flour
- 175 g Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Milk
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 1.36 Kg Unsalted Butter Room Temperature
- 900 g Icing Sugar
- 200 g Pasteurized Egg Whites
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Toffee Popcorn
- Pre-heat oven on gas mark 4. Put paper cases into a 12-hole cake tin.
- Add the butter and sugar to a mixing bowl and then mix until incorporated. Then add the eggs and mix in.
- Once the eggs are incorporated, add the flour and baking powder then fold in until incorporated.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the mixture into the cases and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Once the cakes are done, leave them to cool in the tin for a minute then transfer to a cooling rack until cooled completely.
- Measure egg whites and powdered sugar into a bowl.Using the paddle attachment, beat on medium/high for 5 minutes until it is white and glossy.
- Set mixer to medium, gradually add butter making sure all combined before adding next piece.
- Once all the butter is incorporated then beat for 5-10 minutes on medium/high until light and fluffy. Then add in the vanilla extract and fold in until fully incorporated.
- Once the buttercream is ready, fill a piping bag with a round nozzle on the end and pipe on to the cooled cupcakes. Then top with toffee popcorn.