I originally posted this recipe back in April 2018 but decided to give it a bit of a revamp. There is nothing as good as a simple Victoria sponge. The cake and jam just work so well and are perfect with a cup of tea!
Jam is so good that I like a nice thick layer in my Victoria sponge. I would normally top this with an equally thick layer of cream but I made it for my boyfriend who isn’t a cream fan so stuck with a nice layer of jam.
I love the smell of the sponges baking in the over especially on a Sunday morning. I feel like that smell is just the best!
I always sprinkle icing sugar on the top of my Victoria sponge and I certainly went a little overboard of this one but it doesn’t change how good it tastes!
- 200 g caster
- 200 g Softened Butter
- 4 large eggs
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 200c/ gas 5 and grease and line two 8 inch cake tins.
- Add the sugar and butter together in a bowl and mix together until both are combined and nice and fluffy
- Add the flour to the butter/sugar mix and combined together until it forms a gooey mixture
- Add the one egg and stir into the mixture. Add the other egg and stir all together. Then add the apple and cinnamon
- Put the mixture into the cake tin and place in the over for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Once cooked place onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
- Once cooled, spread the jam in between each of the sponges then sandwich together.