It is Valentine’s day tomorrow and if your girlfriend or boyfriend is cake lover like me then this recipe is perfect for them. For me cake should always have sprinkles on or even in. I love the idea of funfetti cakes, they are like the perfect cakes as they involve sprinkles…Who doesn’t love sprinkles?
You don’t have to make this cake into heart shapes but as it is lovers day tomorrow then heart-shaped cakes feel appropriate. I have added the sweets Love Hearts to the top of these cakes to make them feel even more Valentines. Once you cut your hearts out you should end up with about 18 hearts depending on the size of the cutter.
- 200 g Softened Butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
- 30 g hundreds and thousands
- 150 g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300 g icing sugar
- Love Heart Sweets
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees/gas 4. Grease a 30 x 23cm (12 x 9 in) traybake or roasting tin then line the base with baking parchment
- Measure all the cake ingredients into a large bowl and beat until well blended. Then stir in the hundred and thousands.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin.
- Once the cake is cooled, turn out on to a side and using a heart cookie cutter, cut out hearts out of the sponge.
- Beat the butter until pale and fluffy then add icing sugar gradually and beat until fully incorporated. Then add the vanilla extract and add your food colouring then mix until combined
- Add the buttercream mix to a piping bag then pipe on to one heart then put another heart on top.
- Pipe more buttercream to the top of the heart and add some love heart sweets to the top.
I was like a little kid when I had put all these together because I was so happy and excited with how they looked. You don’t have to add love heart sweets to them as you could just add some sprinkles to the top. Also these cakes would work any shape not just hearts.