I absolutely love anything that is lemon and I have been thinking about lemon biscuits for a while. Then i opened up my fridge and sitting there was tub of clotted cream and I had an idea…lets make sandwiched lemon biscuits and here we are.
They are exactly what they sound like, they are lemon biscuits sandwiched together with a lemon icing drizzled over the top. They are sandwiched together with clotted cream and lemon curd.
Now, I used my cookie press to make my biscuits because I like that I can make any design with it and it does make life a little bit easier. However, if you don’t have one then I would recommend making viennese whirls.
The biscuits dough for these biscuits is super soft and yummy. They always taste amazing which is the other reason I chose the cookie press as well.
I can see what your thinking…clotted cream? Really? Yes clotted cream isn’t just for afternoon tea. The clotted cream sandwiched in between these biscuits takes the edge of the lemon curd while still providing a very yummy silky middle.
You don’t have to use clotted cream, you can use regular cream whipped up. It is up to you but I do recommend trying it because it is a game changer.
Sandwiched Lemon Drizzle Biscuits
- Cookie Press if you have one
- 175 g Unsalted Butter
- 100 g Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg Medium
- ½ tsp Lemon Extract
- 225 g Plain Flour
- 1 Lemon Zest and Juice
- 1 tsp Clotted Cream Per Biscuit
- 100 g Icing Sugar Sifted
- 1 tsp Lemon Curd Per Biscuit
- Pre-heat oven to 190 degree/gas 5. Beat butter in large mixing bowl, using electric mixer until creamy.
- Add caster sugar, egg and lemon extract and the zest of the lemon then beat well. Gradually add flour, mix well to make soft dough.
- Fill cookie press, fitted with disk of your choice, with dough. Press dough onto baking stone about 2.5cm/1 inch apart.
- Bake on a baking tray 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned*.
- Remove and place on cooling rack to cool completely.
- While cooling, make you drizzle for the top of the biscuits. Add your icing sugar to a bowl and pour in a small amount of lemon juice and mix.
- The consistency should be thick but runny so keep adding lemon juice to the mixture until you reach the desired consistency.
- Once cooled, take one biscuit and turn upside down so the flat side is facing you, add a spoonful of clotted cream to the biscuit then add a spoonful of lemon curd on top. Add another biscuit of top of them and sandwich them together.
- Repeat step 8 until all the biscuits are sandwiched together, then on a plate or cooling rack drizzle the lemon icing over the tops of the biscuits until your happy with the amount of the biscuits.