This week I decided to do an American classic on top of cupcakes because I like the idea of s’mores and here in the UK it is not something we have.
In the UK we do not have graham crackers so I had a little google about what might be similar and digestive biscuits are apparently similar.
I also added a little chocolate surprise to the middle of each cupcake to add an extra chocolatiness to these cupcakes.
I just add a square of Cadbury milk chocolate to the middle of each cupcake. Then I add more cake mixture to the cover the square of chocolate.
You could use big marshmallows to the top of these cupcakes instead of mini marshmallows. I used one and half bags of mini marshmallows.
I did make 24 cupcakes so one bag would be enough for 12 cupcakes. I think I went overboard with the mini marshmallows as I topped each cupcake with loads of marshmallows because you can never have too many marshmallows.
Lockdown here is the UK has been tough, so I wanted to do something nice for my brother and his family just to cheer them up a little bit.
I had to deliver them to Royal Mail where my brother works so I took extras for everyone who works there because they have been working hard during this pandemic and deserve a treat.
- 150 g Butter
- 150 g Caster Sugar
- 150 g Self-raising Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 30 g Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
Buttercream and Toppings
- 150 g Unsalted Butter
- 300 g Icing Sugar
- 30 g Cocoa Powder
- 2 tbsp Milk
- Mini Marshmallows
- 12 Digestive Biscuits
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees/gas 4. Place cake cases into a 12 hole muffin tin.
- Mix the butter and caster sugar together until fully combined then add one egg at a time.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder into the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for 15 minutes.
- Once baked. leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Beat the unsalted butter until fluffy and pale.
- Then sift in the icing sugar a bit at time until fully incorporated then sift in the cocoa powder.
- if the mixture is a little bit stiff then add some milk until the mixture is soft. Then once the mixture is ready, fill a piping bag with a round nozzle.
- Pipe some buttercream on to the top of the cupcakes then top with a digestive biscuit the pipe more buttercream on to the biscuit and top with mini marshmallows.
- Toast the marshmallows and your ready to enjoy!