These cakes are special to me and have been made because they make me smile. These cakes are special to me because my Grandma used to make them for us when we visited.
When we were kids there was always a little fight about who would get the last one between me and my brother who does not like cake unless they are my Grandmas.
My Grandma will be 99 years old on Friday and even though I have not been able to see her this year and enjoy the cakes she bakes, I wanted to do something that reminded me of her.
There is something about my Grandma’s cakes because they taste amazing and even though she makes them like you would normally they are always great.
I used chocolate buttercream in mine because I had some leftover from a previous bake, but you could use whatever buttercream you like.
I enjoyed one these while watching the bake off final and they are delicious not quite as good as my Grandmas, but they will do.
Even at 99 years old my Grandma still makes us little fairy cakes ready for when we visit, and they still taste as good as they did when I was a kid.
Happy Birthday Grandma!!
- 150 g butter
- 150 g caster sugar
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 175 g unsalted butter
- 350 g icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees/gas 4. Place cake cases into a 2 hole muffin tin.
- Mix the butter and caster sugar together until fully combined then add one egg at a time.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder into the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for 15 minutes.
- Beat the butter until pale and fluffy then sieve in the icing sugar a bit at a time until fully incorporated.
- Cut a circle out the top of each cupcake and cut each circle in half to make your wings. Fill the hole in the cakes with the buttercream then add the two halves to buttercream to make the butterfly wings.