Another week and oh its been a busy one. I feel like I am constantly on the go lately so when the weekend hits it is nice for a break. This weekend was nice, just enjoyed not working for a while.
I have wanted to go and do pick your own for a long time and finally me and my boyfriend went on Sunday while the weather was decent.
We go to a look farm that does it called Millets Farm which always has a good selection of fruit and when we ever we go, it is never overly busy. They are the minute making you book your tickets beforehand and you have to pay for how much you want to pick.
We decided to pick strawberries and raspberries, we got about 1kg of raspberries and 2kg strawberries. I wanted to buy strawberries as I really want to make my own jam.
This cake is full of fresh fruit, it is in the sponge, in the cream and layered between the sponges just to make sure you get that fruitiness.
I was going to do a buttercream icing in this cake but I decided some nice double whipped cream would go down better in this cake. We all know that fresh strawberries and double cream go so well together.
This cake got spotted the minute my boyfriends mum when she returned home from work and they had two slices on the day it was made they enjoyed it so much.
Strawberry and Raspberry Cake
- 225 g caster sugar
- 225 g butter
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp whole milk
- 150 g strawberries chopped
- 150 g raspberries chopped
- 300 ml double cream
- 150 g raspberries
- 150 g strawberries
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees. Grease and line an 8 inch round tin.
- Beat the sugar and butter together until well combined then add an egg at a time until all eggs are combined.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix until combined. Add the milk then combine. Add the fruit and using a spatula mix in until all the fruit is in corporated.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for about 45 minutes*.
- Once cooked, leave in the tin for 5 minutes then remove and place on a cooling rack to cool fully.
- Once the cake is cooled, whip up the double cream and icing sugar until the cream is thick.
- Crush some raspberries up into a puree then mix in with the whipped cream.
- Cut the sponge in half then add half your whipped cream and top with halved raspberries and strawberries.
- Put the other half of the sponge on top of the first half then add the rest of the whipped cream then top with more strawberries and raspberries.